Tuesday, November 25, 2014

September, October, & November

This is the quick version of race reports from September, October, and November...


September 7
Ironman 70.3 World Championship
M18-24 25th • 4:28 (PR)


September 21
Coyote Classic 5k
1st • 17:25 (CR)

I felt recovered enough from 70.3 Worlds to race a 5k...a week before my first marathon. All I knew is top 3 won a pair of running shoes from the local running store in Golden. Adam and I ran the course as a warm up - 300 feet of elevation gain..gah! First half downhill, second half uphill. I took the lead early and somehow held on to win and set a course record. That was also where I met Anthony (a stud runner also from IL) and started coaching jr high cross country with him.


September 28
Quad Cities Marathon
6th • 2:37:13
(Full RR next)


October 11
Durango Double Trail 13.1
9th • 1:52

I found out within the first mile of this race that I was not recovered from the marathon. It was my first trail race and I just was not ready for the climbing at altitude. I finished 9th OA on day 1, but 5th of people doing both days.


October 12
Durango Double Road 13.1
5th • 1:23

I woke up and considered not racing. I couldn't feel my legs and they were absolutely destroyed from the precious day and the marathon 2 weeks prior. Somehow I still pulled off a decent race and finish 5th OA to move into 3rd for the combined days. I was thrilled as we got some pretty sweet gear for the race.

Durango Double combined - 3rd


November 2
Solemates Collaboration 5k
1st • 15:58

I was not sure how this would go. The previous weekend I did my last long run (21 miles with fast finish) before Malibu Canyon 50k, so my legs were not super fresh. The OA male and female winners won a keg from Left Hand Brewing Co, so I wanted to win! I was not sure who was I the race and I do not race well at altitude -- yet. I took the lead about 1k in and figured if I was going to hurt, I may as well make everybody else hurt too. I came through the first mile in 4:57 and almost had to check my shorts. That was the first sub 5 mile I had popped off at altitude. I came through 2 miles in about 10:10 and was still feeling good. About 1/2 mile from the finish I was able to start shutting it down as I thought I had the win AND I wanted to save my legs for the 10k the following weekend.
Thanks Shoes & Brews and Left Hand for the keg!


November 8
Longmont Turkey Trot 10k
4th • 34:31

I was feeling pretty good about my first sub 16 at altitude the previous weekend, so I decide to just go for it. I came through mile 1 in 5:15 and was already gapped by 10 seconds. Yuck! I ran alone the next 2 miles, until the women's winner pulled up next to me. We ran together for about a mile, and then she pulled away from me. At that point I thought "save it for the 50k next weekend." I finished in 34:31 for 4th OA...which was a altitude 10k PR.


November 16
Malibu Canyon 50k
3rd • 4:35:36 (25k CR)
Already posted.


Over the past few months I would say I had learned quite a bit about myself. I said I was done racing and just wanted to do my own thing...and that is exactly what I have been doing. I have not followed a strict training schedule, but rather going to group runs and having "Saturday Adventre Time." I have been wearing my Garmin to keep track of miles, but I never look at pace. I entered a lot of events that sounded fun. I just went and ran. I have met a lot great people at these events, and for that I am truly thankful. I can't wait to see what exciting adventures are in store for 2015. Here's a hint:

Thanks for reading.

1 comment: